Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Canal de Panama

Hello loyal followers! (I'm certain there are many)

Chelsea here. Normally I'm a big fan of collaborative blogging, but since we've gone our separate ways now, I'll be flying solo.

After our meeting on Friday morning and a lunch of Pizza, those of us who wanted to go to the Panama canal did so. People who had already been to Panama went for a siesta at the Hostel. It was a bit of a struggle to work out our transportation to the canal - taxi? bus? taxi. We finally arrived at the canal around 3:30. This seemed like a great time to be there until we were informed that the place shuts down at 5. Double time!

We watched 2 boats go through the Miraflores locks and then went inside. We realized that due to our time constraints, we would have to choose between the video or the museum. It was recommended that we do the museum, even though I really wanted to see the video because I'm still a little confused at how these locks operate. I'm no engineer, that's why I do business!

The museum was neat. It did a little history and had some interactive activities too. They had created a thing where it simulated the experience of going through the canal on a boat. I'll post a picture of that!

Anyhow, Cade, Marshall, Kellye, Meaghan, Miachel, Will, and I all enjoyed our experience at the Canal. After all, it is (was?) one of the wonders of the world. When given the opportunity, everyone should see it. Next time, I want to be on a boat and go through. I wonder if they do dinner cruises that go through the locks. I'll report back on that later.

Here are some pictures of our trip to the canal:

















On Friday night we ate at Casa Blanca again, but it was somewhat less eventful than the night before. We then went to a CD release party for yet another panamanian cultural experience. Good times were had by all, I'm sure. Then we went to the beach on Saturday, which Cade will tell you about later!


I apologize for this text being all messed up with the pictures, but I don't know how to fix it. I have a blog too and it never happens with mine. If anyone knows how to fix it, let me know.

Vaya con Dios,

Chels

1 comment:

  1. Glad you guys all had an awesome time in Panama. Jeff and I have just finished up with Berkeley, which was also awesome but very different from UT-Austin. I'll soon post pictures and blog a bit about what we saw on our side. Cuidanse! Foy

    ReplyDelete