Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Police station = cultural experience

Sarah here. As previously discussed, my purse and all belongings were taken last night at Casablanca. Cool. So today we had to go to the policae station to fill out a full report of said incident. Allen, Juan Pablo and I went to the station after breakfast. It was actually soemthing different than a police station, like a main office, but I am not exactly sure. We waited for a long time in the waiting area where E! was on and we saw the Pam Anderson reality tv show. That was obviously fun. Then they called us into the incident report room where I could not explain anything because I do not speak spanish. Juan Pablo took care of the situation, and we went back to the waiting room. Then about 30 or so minutes later a verrrrrryyy rude translator/detective came to talk to me. I filled out a report about what happened and then he said he needed to take lunch so we should come back at 3.. it was 12. After a three hour rest/delicious lunch with cheese, clearly, we went back to the station where I became somewhat of a celebrity. Upon entrance someone instictivly said, "Are you Sarah?" What could have given me away? Then we went back to the waiting room, which was actually kind of interesting because various people came in and out. It was a good people watching spot. After several people came and asked if I was Sarah, a new nice female translator came and got me to check on the report. Allen however did not get the same treatment; they told him to just stay put. I signed some papers, verified some facts, and we were out of there. Lesson of the story, things take longer in Panama.

Anyways, it was an interesting experience. Things have been really fun in the city! We painted the doors this afternoon, and I came back in time to use the roll-brush a little -- loved it. We just played baseball with a tapeball, stick, and some awesome Panamian kids.

Sidenote: Cats have become the new cheese. Circle of cats. Cade took around 20 pictures of cats, we had cats as the mascot for the baseball game, you get the idea.

Dinner time!
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment